I go through cases of chickpeas at my house – and this is another stew recipe I love where you WILL NOT be missing the meat!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 2 inches fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 2 teaspoons yellow curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, more or less to taste
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 can (14 ounce chickpeas drained
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (diced into small cubes)
- 1 can (14 ounce) full fat coconut milk
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro roughly chopped
- steamed rice (or quinoa) and naan for serving
INSTRUCTIONS BELOW PHOTO
Vegan Sweet Potato Chickpea curry in wooden bowl on a light background, top view, copy space. Healthy vegetarian food concept. (Vegan Sweet Potato Chickpea curry in wooden bowl on a light background, top view, copy space. Healthy vegetarian food conce
- Preheat oven to 450 – place drained chickpeas and diced sweet potato on cookie sheet – drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Massage with hands and mix all together. Roast for 15 mins – turning once half way through (if in a rush you can skip this step and go to #2 – but this just makes it so much better).
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook 5 minutes or until fragrant. Add the garlic and ginger, cooking another 2 minutes. Stir in the garam masala, curry powder, turmeric, cayenne, and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the chickpea/sweet potato mixture and toss to coat with the spices. Cook 5 minutes.
- Stir in the coconut milk, pumpkin, tomato paste, butter, and 1/2 cup water. Simmer 5 minutes, until the sauce thickens slightly. Remove from the heat and stir in the cilantro. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve the stew over bowls of rice with fresh naan – a squeeze of lime and chopped fresh cilantro (optional)