Heavenly comfort food. Make this with my coconut rice recipe for a perfect meal every time.
- 3 tablespoons sesame or extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 cup cashews
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- zest of 1 lime
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs or breasts, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon corn starch or flour
- black pepper
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1-2 tablespoons curry paste
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons raw sesame seeds
- 4 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 1 inch fresh ginger, grated
- 2 red or orange bell peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh Thai or regular basil, roughly torn
- Mango Curry Coconut Rice
INSTRUCTIONS BELOW PHOTO
- To make the cashews. Heat 1 tablespoon oil, 1 tablespoon honey, the cashews, chili, powder, and turmeric in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook until lightly toasted and caramelized, 3-4 minutes. Watch closely. Spoon the cashews out of the skillet onto a parchment-lined plate. Sprinkle with lime zest and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, toss together the chicken, cornstarch, and a pinch of black pepper.
- To make the sauce. Combine the remaining 1/4 cup honey, the soy sauce, fish sauce, curry paste, ketchup, and sesame seeds.
- Wipe the skillet clean. Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil over medium heat. When the oil shimmers, add the chicken and brown all over, until it becomes crispy, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger, and peppers, cook another 2-3 minutes, until the garlic is fragrant. Pour in the sauce and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook until the sauce coats the chicken, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the basil. Serve the chicken and sauce over bowls of rice. Top with cashews, additional basil, and cucumbers, if desired.