One of my fav restaurants in Oakville is Maro’s. Middle eastern mouth-watering healthy food. When COVID hit and I couldn’t get my favourites I tried to improvise at home, and the Chicken Shawarma was created.
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 6 chicken breasts – cut into strips (you can use chicken thighs as well if preferred)
- 3 tablespoons Shawarma Spice Blend (I get mine at Bulk Barn)
- 2 Peppers cut into strips (any colour will do)
- 1 Red or white onion cut into strips
- 1.5 cups of Hummus (get my recipe here – I always have this made and ready in the fridge)
- 1 cup diced cucumbers
- 1 cup pickled onions
DIRECTIONS BELOW PHOTO
- Cut all your veggies and chicken
- Heat the olive oil in a deep frying pan – start cooking the chicken on Medium – for 7 mins – add in the Shawarma spice blend. Mix
- Add in the Peppers and Onions continue cooking and stirring to coat all of the chicken and veggies – cook for 5-7 mins.
- Get a long serving dish and coat the bottom of the dish with Hummus – use all of the hummas
- Layer the chicken mixture on top
- Layer on the cumbers and pickled onions
This meal is great hot, or cold the next day!