I make a large bowl of this weekly to have on hand. They are great in pitas, tacos, salads and on my fav shwarma recipe.
- 2 medium red onion, very thinly sliced1 cup water
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup or honey
- 3 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes – optional but so much better with : )
- Pack the onions into a glass container (with lid).
- In a small saucepan, combine the water, vinegar, maple syrup, salt, and pepper flakes. Bring the mixture to a gentle simmer over medium heat, then carefully pour the mixture into the container over the onions.
- Make sure all of the onions are covered Let the pickled onions cool to room temperature (about 20 to 30 minutes), at which point they should be sufficiently pickled for serving….but they always taste better cold – the next day.
- Cover and keep refrigerated