By Jacquie Robertson
How do you start your day? With a cup of coffee and bagel in hand? Cold cereals, orange juice and Pop-tarts? I hate to burst this bubble (because it’s a big one for a lot of people), but these my friends, are the breakfasts of overweight, pre-diabetic, exhausted individuals just waiting for a heart attack or cancer to happen. That’s right, the old model of cereal and orange juice are long over.
Yes, it’s still true, breakfast really is the most important meal of the day, and as such we need to start treating it like that. Eat this meal as if it were you dinner. Your body has been fasting all night long, your blood sugars should be long and both your body and brain need a kick-start.
You want to ensure that you eat breakfast within one to two hours of waking and include protein. If you find yourself not hungry or gagging at the sight of eating food first thing in the morning, opt for a liquid breakfast, such as a shake or smoothie to ease the transition of food into your body.
I also like to start my day with a warm glass of lemon water and green tea to aid in natural healthy elimination and get my digestive juices flowing.
Here are my top 5 reasons why you cannot afford to skip breakfast:
- Balance Mood: When the irritable, tired, dizzy and unable to concentrate mind comes out to play, you can be sure it’s likely due to low blood sugar. My sister calls this Hangry: Hungry + Angry = a recipe for rage disaster. Don’t let your blood sugar get too low to this point. Eat consistent square meals at regular intervals throughout the day to keep blood sugar from going haywire. When you feel hungry, eat. When you feel full, stop eating.
- Improves Fat Burn: Eating breakfast sets up your metabolic rate and fat burning capabilities for the rest of the day. Eat breakfast and manage your weight. Simple.
- Creates Sexy Balanced Hormones: Skipping breakfast or any meal for that matter wreaks havoc on your pretty little hormones. Keep estrogen, progesterone and thyroid hormones in check by eating a solid breakfast packed with protein. When out of whack, these hormones in particular can create nasty mood-swings, energy highs and lows and feels of depression and anxiety. Opt for eggs, lean chicken, protein smoothie, legumes and nuts to start your day.
- Boosts Brain Power: Consuming a good breakfast is critical to rev up your most important engine— your brain. Real nutrition packed with vitamins, minerals, protein and omega-3 will help you focus, concentrate and enhance cognitive function.
- Reduces Binging and Cravings: Eat breakfast and ensure adequate protein to avoid afternoon cravings and late-night binges. The body often goes looking for extra calories and nutrients when it lacks the proper balance of carbohydrates, fats and proteins. Avoid sugary breakfasts that contribute to energy highs and lows and make you reaching for sugar at 3 p.m.
Jacquie Robertson, RNCP, ROHP, is a Holistic Nutritionist & Women’s Health Coach, practicing clinical nutrition and specializing in hormone imbalance, PMS, digestive health and weight loss. Jacquie has had the opportunity to work both as a Nutritionist and Colon Hydro therapist at some of the leading alternative health clinics in Canada including: Vitalife Digestive Health Clinic & D’Avignon Digestive Health Centre.
She has also travelled across North America working with hundreds of physicians within The American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine (A4M), formulating customized vitamin supplements for their patients. Here she worked with and learned from some of America’s finest physicians & health experts, including Dr. Pamela Smith & Suzanne Somers.
Today Jacquie offers her clients 1-on-1 nutritional coaching, food allergy testing and women’s health workshops through her private practice based in Toronto West. Jacquie holds a BA (Honours) from McMaster University, diploma from Centennial College’s Workplace Wellness & Health Promotion program and is a graduate from the Institute of Holistic Nutrition.
Her mission is to educate, empower and inspire women to understand the relationship between food, hormones, self-love and their bodies, in order to live a life of health, love and happiness.
For more info visit: